We're about growth
The economy in Prince Edward Island is changing dramatically. While primary industries continue to be mainstays of the economy, innovative people, practices and companies are finding novel ways to use our human and natural resources. Strategic sectors such as Aerospace, ICT, Financial Services, and Bioscience are growing rapidly. Some Economic Facts about PEI:
- Growth in real GDP for Prince Edward Island is estimated at 1.6 per cent for 2011.
- As of July 1, 2012, Prince Edward Island’s population is estimated to be 146,105. This represents an increase of 3,839 persons since July 2010, or 2.6 per cent growth.
- Exports increased by 15.1 per cent in 2012.
- Exports in aircraft and other transportation equipment and parts grew by 80.1 per cent in 2012.
- The economic outlook for 2012 is that growth will be moderate, with forecasts ranging from 1.1 to 1.8 percent.
*Statistics provided by Statistics Canada and the Economics, Statistics and Federal Fiscal Relations Division of the Department of Finance and Municipal Affairs, Province of Prince Edward Island.